Re: [gnome-db] Connection Widget / Other stuff

On Fri, 2002-01-25 at 21:05, Rodrigo Moya wrote:
> On Fri, 2002-01-25 at 14:21, Cleber Rodrigues Rosa Junior wrote:
> > Hi Rodrigo,
> > Hi Gonzalo,
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I noticed that GnomeDbConnectionSelector was only half
> > implemented, so I decided to give it a try. So, it made
> > sense to me to have a GnomeDbConnection first, and then
> > make a selector based on it.
> >
> hmm, what purpose will have the GnomeDbConnection widget? The
> GnomeDbConnectionSelector is just an option menu (the one in the right
> in http://lagun.gnome-db.org/shots/gnome2/gnome-db-new-frontend.png), so
> I can't think what that GnomeDbConnection widget will do :-)
>
> And yes, you're right, GnomeDbConnectionSelector is just half
> implemented, but the idea would be to just have display a list of
> connections, and a couple of widget signals to inform of changes (in the
> selection, for instance), and nothing more.
>
> Were you thinking of something else?

Yes, since we've got some space inside the option menu, why not provide
info on the connections? The mockup would be:

+-------------------------------------+
| User:       cleber    | GTK_STOCK_? |
| DataSource: test      |             |
+-------------------------------------+

GTK_STOCK_? would be either GTK_STOCK_YES (green light) indicating the
connection is open or GTK_STOCK_NO (red light) otherwise.

A popup menu would also be cool, providing a quick way of manipulating
(closing, showing errors, etc...) the connection. How does it sound?

> > So, the first thing I found myself in need of was something
> > like gda_connection_is_open, which I implememented, patch
> > follows.
> >
> ok, patch applied

Thanks.

> > The one other thing holding me back is that a GdaConnection
> > does not hold in any the name of it's associated DataSource,
> > preventing me from getting a GdaDataSourceInfo.
> >
> > Is this really missing or am I missing something? If we're
> > short on this, how do you want it to be? Tell me and I'll
> > send you a patch.
> >
> it is missing, because we don't use GDA dsn's for opening connections in
> the GdaConnection object, we use the connection string, as defined in
> the GDA data source. I guess this should be changed, and we should be
> using the GDA data source name, and then have the GdaConnection object
> internally retrieve the connection string for that data source, and send
> it to the provider.
>
> I'll change this right now.

You rule buddy.
Cheers.