Re: [gnome-db] New patch for postgres. Constness. Time, Timestamp, Date.

On Wed, 2002-01-09 at 02:34, Gonzalo Paniagua Javier wrote:
> 	Hi all!
>
> 	Well, here is another patch. This one fixes my TODO list in the
> 	postgres provider and adds specific test for postgres in gda-test.

applied to CVS

> 	Some questions have arised:
>
> 		-What should the provider do in execute_command() when
> 		one of the command of a ';' separated list have failed?
> 		Should free the already allocated recordsets and return
> 		NULL to show that something failed? Add an error and
> 		continue processing the list of commands?

I don't have a strong opinion on this. I personally think you should
just fail and return NULL as soon as one of the commands fail. Anyone
has any suggestion?

> 		-Now about the constness: do you think that *get* should
> 		return const and *set* should receive a const argument?
> 		Or should we just say what returned values shouldn't be
> 		modified and return non-const?

I think we should explicitly set return values to const when it is a
static data, and not a newly-allocated data. I think this makes the API
more readable.

> 	Now in my TODO list:
>
> 		-modify the IDL to add 'timezone' to time and timestamp.
> 		-modify libgda/_whatever_ to make use of the Time, Date
> 		and Timestamp defined in the IDL.

great