[gnome-db] Re: Thank you for this marvelous work

On Sat, 2002-02-09 at 22:08, Jean-Michel POURE wrote:
> Dear all
>
> I discovered libgda and Gnome-db lately This is what I have been dreaming of
> for years, and I would like to thank you all for this marvelous design.

great! a happy user at last! :-)

> A few questions to start :
>
> 1) Why are triggers and rules not described in libgda?

because they haven't been implemented :-) I saw your bug in bugzilla
about it, so we'll be working on it soon.

> 2) How do you handle encodings? I tried to connect to a unicode database
> under PostgreSQL and did not succeed to display utf-8 strings.

hmm, the GNOME 1.x version (0.2.9x) is not utf8-safe. GNOME 2 version is
(or at least should :-). So, it would be great if you could do the
testing with that utf8 database using the GNOME 2 version.

> 3) Oracle has cartridges for different server-side languages. PostgreSQL has
> PLPGSQL, PLPERL, etc.. Why not describe them in libgda? Also, functions in
> PostgreSQL can be strict or not-stric, etc... Do you plan to support these
> variants?

yes, we'll extend the provider interface with all these things. Could
you add bugs to bugzilla about it, please?

And, what are the strict/not-strict functions?