Sent: Thursday, February 07, 2002 6:16 PM
Subject: Re: [Mono-list] System.Data

Daniel,
It would be great to have your assistance.  I have been working on the System.Data namespace, and that is coming along great.  However, I do not know enough to write any of the managed providers (System.Data.OleDB, System.Data.SqlClient, etc..)
I'm not familiar with libgda, but briefly looking at the api, I suppose writing System.Data.Gda as a wrapper would work fine, as well as System.Data.GnomeDB.
What are the differences between GnomeDB and libgda?

My comments earlier about GnomeDB not fitting into the new ADO.Net were somewhat of a misunderstanding.  On the Mono website, it says that we could just write a wrapper to GnomeDB. This was only meant as creating a System.Data.GnomeDB namespace, where as I thought it meant System.Data.  This confussion was due to my lack of knowledge about GnomeDB.

On the topic of managed providers, one of the things I would really like to see is, someone write (if possible) the SqlClient and OleDB providers.  This hopefully would allow linux boxes to talk to MS SQL Server, and would open up new web application markets.  I know alot of companies that use Win2k and IIS, only because they don't like the Databases that are available on Linux, and Linux doesnt talk to MS SQL Server.  I believe that's correct anyway.

Well, once again, System.Data.Gda sounds like a good idea to me.  I'll be watching the cvs tree for your code.

Thanks,
Chris Podurgiel