Re: [gnome-db] Re: Gnome-db todo

On Sat, 2002-04-06 at 04:20, Andrew Hill wrote:

> Hi Rodrigo.
>
> Me, well no others, been working on intergrating bonddb with gnome-db.
>  I've been a bit preoccupied with other things recently so havn't done a
> lot of coding.  Anyway, we've been running into a few problems when it
> comes to unique ids. Is there a way to get to the unique id for a record
> set currently implimented in libgda?.

no :-(

But as it is really needed, let's talk about how to do it. For some
databases (PostgreSQL, Oracle), it seems to be easy when just returning
a table's data. But:

* how do you get the unique id of a row returned in a JOIN (SELECT ..
FROM a, b)?

* what can we do for DBMS's that don't have a ROWID or OID or whatever?

> Thats been able to know what the
> unique id is, or pg_oid in the case of postgresql, for your current
> position in a record set?. and is there a way to work out on an insert
> what is the unique id generated for that insert?

no :-(

also, the same thing. We really need it, so how can we do it?