Re: [gnome-db] Re: Gnome-db todo

Rodrigo Moya wrote:

On Sat, 2002-04-06 at 04:20, Andrew Hill wrote:

Hi Rodrigo.

Me, well no others, been working on intergrating bonddb with gnome-db. I've been a bit preoccupied with other things recently so havn't done a lot of coding. Anyway, we've been running into a few problems when it comes to unique ids. Is there a way to get to the unique id for a record set currently implimented in libgda?.
no :-(

But as it is really needed, let's talk about how to do it. For some
databases (PostgreSQL, Oracle), it seems to be easy when just returning
a table's data. But:

Hmm the difficult problems we create.

* how do you get the unique id of a row returned in a JOIN (SELECT ..
FROM a, b)?

It depends on how the tables are joined and if it is a one to many, many to one or a many to many relationship. Normally it would be just the id for the first table (or the many in one to many). In a many to many relationship it would be both oids. At the moment i parse and modify the select statement i get to include things like the oid i need. I create the sql string SELECT a.*,a.oid,b.* FROM a,b WHERE ...
from SELECT * FROM a,b WHERE ...

* what can we do for DBMS's that don't have a ROWID or OID or whatever?

In my initial start i had a structure which just stores a list of primary keys, and or rowids and oid's. If the table didn't have a rowid or oid then it would fall back on using
table ids.

Thats been able to know what the unique id is, or pg_oid in the case of postgresql, for your current position in a record set?. and is there a way to work out on an insert what is the unique id generated for that insert?

no :-(

also, the same thing. We really need it, so how can we do it?

cheers

There is a function for this in postgresql (PQoidValue(recordset)) and . Problem is i only know postgresql really well. So i'm kinda fussy when it comes to working how to impliment some of this stuff into other databases.