Re: [gnome-db]Build problems

Hi!

Gerhard please, have a look at this mail, since we're having some
problems with the XSLT stuff you added to libxmlquery. We can't be using
yet libxml2 everywhere, so this poses the problem of linking against
both libraries, if available, or against libxml1 only

On 28 May 2001 16:08:05 -0400, Ian D . Stewart wrote:
> On Tue, May 22, 2001 at 12:19:33PM +0200, Rodrigo Moya wrote:

> > > What exactly do libxml2 and libxslt provide that libxml does not?  How
> > > difficult would it be to design GDA/Gnome-DB to use the facilities of
> > > libxml2/libxslt where available, but fallback to libxml(1) ?
> > >
> > The only thing that would be disabled if libxml2 is not found is the
> > libxmlquery, which uses libxslt.
> >
> > I've thought myself about forcing the use of libxml2, but woudln't this
> > fail for most people? since I suppose most people running a stable GNOME
> > are using libxml1, and I really don't know if there are really any
> > incompatibilities when linking with both versions.
>
> Well, what I was thinking of was something along the lines of what we are doing
> with GdaObject, where you have an abstract interface that encapsulates the
> functionality implemented in both libxml and libxml2/libxslt.  If the user has
> libxml2/libxslt installed, than that is used.  Otherwise, we fall back to
> libxml (with the understanding that some functionality specific to libxslt may
> be lost).
>
> That way, the advanced features of libxslt/libxml2 are available to those who
> want it without forcing it upon those who do not need/want it.

as I said, we're only using libxml2 features in the XSLT part. So, the best
solution, is to not build the XSLT part of libxmlquery if xslt/libxml2 is not
found.

The other parts of the libs really need not to link against libxml2 under no
circumstances, since then, GNOME-DB applications will fail due to the Bonobo/libxml2
incompatibilities.

So, best thing is to keep things as they are (linking statically libxml2 with
libxmlquery) and add stuff to compile conditionally some parts. I'm not sure yet
if this is possible at all with the latest libxmlquery version Gerhard sent to me
(maybe xslt is really needed to make it work)

well, the best solution would be to have the whole GNOME platform use libxml2 :-(
So I really don't think it's worth the effort of writing this wrapper, since it
would only be used in libxmlquery

Rodrigo Moya <rodrigo gnome-db org> <rodrigo ximian com>
http://www.gnome-db.org/