Re: [gnome-db]Build problems

On 21 May 2001 21:33:54 -0400, Ian D . Stewart wrote:
> On Tue, May 22, 2001 at 01:18:07AM +0200, Rodrigo Moya wrote:
> >
> > So, there are some solutions that I can think of:
> > * keep it as it was (that is a non-libtool library, a simple static lib)
> > and force people to use newest automake/autoconf/libtool. Before the
> > change I just did, I found no problems when compiling. Anybody had any
> > problem with that?
> > * link gda applications against both libxml1 and libxml2 (don't know if
> > this will cause any problem)
> > * don't build the libxmlquery until we're using libxml2 everywhere. I would like to
> > avoid this solution as much as possible, since I intend to start using
> > this library in the near future
> >
> > so, ideas, comments?
>
> What exactly do libxml2 and libxslt provide that libxml does not?  How
> difficult would it be to design GDA/Gnome-DB to use the facilities of
> libxml2/libxslt where available, but fallback to libxml(1) ?

The only thing that would be disabled if libxml2 is not found is the
libxmlquery, which uses libxslt.

I've thought myself about forcing the use of libxml2, but woudln't this
fail for most people? since I suppose most people running a stable GNOME
are using libxml1, and I really don't know if there are really any
incompatibilities when linking with both versions.

Rodrigo Moya <rodrigo gnome-db org> <rodrigo ximian com>
http://www.gnome-db.org/