Re: [gnome-db]Build problems

On 21 May 2001 21:02:45 +0200, Sean Allen wrote:
> Hi, I'm haveing a problem building the CVS snapshot I took this morning
> sorry for the (probably) stupid question, but I am still quite
> inxperienced when it comes to the GNU build system
> I'm trying to build an RPM, and everything configures fine, but then I
> get this error
>
> mv -f .libs/gda-xml-file.lo gda-xml-file.lo
> /bin/sh ../../libtool --mode=link gcc  -O2 -march=i386 -mcpu=i686  -o
> libgda-common.la -rpath /usr/lib  gda-config.lo gda-corba.lo gda-init.lo
> gda-log.lo gda-thread.lo gda-util.lo gda-xml-database.lo gda-xml-file.lo
> -L/usr/lib -lgthread -lglib -lpthread -L/usr/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lgtk
> -lgdk -rdynamic -lgmodule -lglib -ldl -lXi -lXext -lX11 -lm -L/usr/lib
> -lxml -lz -L/usr/lib -lgconf-1 -loaf -lORBitCosNaming -lORBit -lIIOP
> -lORBitutil -lglib -lnsl -lm -L/usr/lib -loaf -lORBitCosNaming -lORBit
> -lIIOP -lORBitutil -lglib -lnsl -lm
>       ../../lib/gda-common/gda-xml-query/libxmlquery.a
> libtool: link: cannot build libtool library `libgda-common.la' from
> non-libtool objects: ../../lib/gda-common/gda-xml-query/libxmlquery.a
> make[4]: Leaving directory
> `/usr/src/redhat/BUILD/libgda-0.2.4/lib/gda-common'
> make[3]: Leaving directory
> `/usr/src/redhat/BUILD/libgda-0.2.4/lib/gda-common'
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/redhat/BUILD/libgda-0.2.4/lib'
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/redhat/BUILD/libgda-0.2.4'

um, this is something I just changed (that is, some old versions of automake/autoconf/libtool
don't allow you to link a lib built with libtool with a non-libtool lib,
in this case, libxmlquery). So, somebody just filed a bug about this,
and I changed libxmlquery to be a libtool library (that is,
libxmlquery.la), and now the providers don't build, because this
libxmlquery is linking against libxml2, and the providers are using
libxml1, so there are a lot of libxslt/libxml2 undefined symbols

So, there are some solutions that I can think of:
* keep it as it was (that is a non-libtool library, a simple static lib)
and force people to use newest automake/autoconf/libtool. Before the
change I just did, I found no problems when compiling. Anybody had any
problem with that?
* link gda applications against both libxml1 and libxml2 (don't know if
this will cause any problem)
* don't build the libxmlquery until we're using libxml2 everywhere. I would like to
avoid this solution as much as possible, since I intend to start using
this library in the near future

so, ideas, comments?

Sean, to solve your problem, I would suggest to upgrade your
auto*/libtool stuff, since with the versions I've got myself, this was
causing no problems at all. That's what I've got:

bash-2.05$ dpkg -l automake autoconf libtool

Status=Not/Installed/Config-files/Unpacked/Failed-config/Half-installed
uppercase=bad)
ii  automake       1.4-8          A tool for generating GNU
Standards-complian
ii  autoconf       2.13-27        automatic configure script builder
ii  libtool        1.4-1          Generic library support script

Rodrigo Moya <rodrigo gnome-db org> <rodrigo ximian com>
http://www.gnome-db.org/