Re: [gnome-db]0.2.4 (Trying out the CVS)

On 11 May 2001 11:45:11 -0400, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
> >>I plan to make this weekend (or the following one) a new release,
> >>containing all the new stuff that we've been adding, so please, could
> >>people get the sources from CVS and test it so that we can find any
> >>serious problems.
>
> I grabbed the code from CVS and libgda compiled and installed -
> cd libgda;./autogen.sh;make;make install
>
> But when I try to compile GNOME-DB it fails in the "po" directory -
> ./autogen.sh;make
>
> make  all-recursive
> make[1]: Entering directory `/tmp/gnome-db'
> Making all in po
> make[2]: Entering directory `/tmp/gnome-db/po'
> make[2]: *** No rule to make target `../components/GNOME_DB_HelpViewer.oaf.in',
> needed by `gnome-db.pot'.  Stop.
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/tmp/gnome-db/po'
> make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/tmp/gnome-db'
> make: *** [all-recursive-am] Error 2

make sure you've got xml-i18n-tools installed, and that the
gnome-db/configure.in does not contain AM_GNU_GETTEXT. If so, replace it
with AM_GNOME_GETTEXT.

Even if you do so, it will still fail if you've got gettext 0.10.37
(latest version). So, the solution would be either to downgrade to
gettext-0.10.35, or remove the po directory from SUBDIRS in
gnome-db/Makefile

> On a whim I removed the requirements for gnomedb-com-help-viewer.c and
> GNOME_DB_HelpViewer.oaf.in in po/Makefile.  Then it seemed to compile fine and
> the only odd message I saw was (and maybe it is normal):
> -----<make process excerp>---------------------------------------------
> Making all in pt_BR
> make[3]: Entering directory `/tmp/gnome-db/doc/pt_BR'
> db2html gnome-db.sgml
> TMPDIR is DBTOHTML_OUTPUT_DIR28498
>
> input file was called gnome-db.sgml -- output will be in gnome-db
>
> working on ../gnome-db.sgml
> jade:../gnome-db.sgml:91:42:E: general entity "GnomeDb" not defined and no
> default entity
> jade:../gnome-db.sgml:387:0:E: character data is not allowed here
> about to copy cascading stylesheet and admon graphics to temp dir
> about to rename temporary directory to gnome-db
> -----<end of excerp>--------------------------------------------
nothing serious, just a malformed SGML document. Fixed in CVS

> The wizard in gomedb-fe lets me create a data source using the default provider
> (if the directory already exists).
ok, I'll make the provider create the directory if it does not exist

> But clicking OK on the connect dialog locks
> up that dialog box,  although the gnomedb-fe window still responds.  But I can
> keep clicking Connect and get more and more dialog boxes.  I can also exit out
> of gnomedb-fe and while it closes all the connect dialog boxes stay.
>
> After exiting gnomedb-fe with connect dialogs open:
> $ps axwww | grep gnomedb
> 29512 ?        S      0:02 gnomedb-components
> --oaf-activate-iid=OAFIID:GNOME_DB_ComponentFactory --oaf-ior-fd=11
> 29520 ?        S      0:02 gnomedb-mgr
> --oaf-activate-iid=OAFIID:GNOME_DB_ManagerFactory --oaf-ior-fd=13

a known bug is that you'll need to make 2 attempts to connect, but the
error you're getting seems quite strange, and maybe an oaf/bonobo
incompatibility. What versions of oaf/bonobo/GConf are you running? the
ones with Ximian GNOME 1.4?

Rodrigo Moya <rodrigo gnome-db org> <rodrigo ximian com>
http://www.gnome-db.org/