[gnome-db]Re: Introductions and Proposed Changes

On 06 May 2001 12:10:21 -0400, Ian D. Stewart wrote:
> Hello Rogrigo,

Hi Ian!

> My name is Ian Stewart.  I will be working with Reinhard Muehler, implementing
> changes within libgda to (hopefully) make it more robust and useful to those
> outside the GNOME community.
>
> I spoke with Reinhard last night on IRC, and he mentioned a list of proposed
> changes he sent to you and gnome-db-list c. 04 Nov 2000.  He had said that he
> has not, as of yet, implemented any of those changes.  I am wondering if you,
> or anybody else has gotten an opportunity to implement these changes, or if I
> should take them as my 'marching orders', so to speak.

ok, the url for the list of things he mentioned is http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-db-list/2000-November/msg00009.html.

* gda-init should be part of the client lib...: no, it should stay in
libgda-common, since it will be needed by other gda non-client apps,
such as the report engine
* gda-config shoudl be part of the client library...: no, for the same
reason as before
* the names of the macros... (IS_GDA_XML_DATABASE): yes, please do it.
The best way to do it would be to update the libgda/convert-api.sh
script, adding all the necessary stuff to convert the IS_GDA_* macros to
GDA_IS_*, so that we then just have to run this script on apps that use
libgda (Glade, Gnumeric, etc)
* every object should have a gda_xxx_free function...: yes, in fact,
what you should do in the gda_xxx_free function is to gtk_object_unref
(or g_object_unref) the object, and then, as proposed by Reinhard, do
all the clean up in the _destroy/_finalize function. I've already done
so for the GdaConnection object.
* gda_connection_new shouldn't take a parameter...: yes, please remove
the CORBA_ORB parameter, and replace the orb variable in that function
with gda_corba_get_orb()
* the actual definition of the _Gda_* stuctures should be private...:
yes. I've already done so on the newly added GnomeDb widgets
(GnomeDbControl, GnomeDbBrowser), so see there how to do it. Weel, it's
simple: you just have the _Gda_* structure contain a field for the
parent object (GtkObject/GObject) and a _Gda*Private pointer. And then,
when needed, you add accessor functions for the private members
* AM_PATH_* for ORBit: yes
* Makefile.am should be cleaned up a bit...: I'm not sure if what
Reinhard proposed is good, so please just have a look and tell me what
you think must be done, and we'll see if it breaks or not something
* gda-config should call gconf-config, ...: I don't think it's worth the
effort. I would prefer to make the transition now to pkgconfig (module
pkg-config in GNOME CVS), which we'll have to do sooner or later
* macros directory should be removed...: as soon as we use pkg-config,
this directory won't be needed anymore
* a private header file in each directory...: yes, but please use a
meaningful name (as the rest of the files), such as gda-common-private.h
or gda-commonP.h
* gda.m4: the same as for the macros directory
* GdaRecordset's signals: yes, a bit of clean up could be done, but I
think I already did some, so just have a look to see what can be done
* gda-value.h and gda-commandP.h: the latter has already been removed.
About gda-value, don't remove it, since I think I must have a look at it
to see what it was created for :-)
* popt lib...: yes
* .._LIBADD...: yes, as before, I'm not sure what this would mean, so
just have a look and tell me
* compiler warnings: yes. I did a compilation some weeks ago with
-Werror, so I already removed lots of warnings, but anyway, another
cleanup would be good.

Thanks for the help!

Rodrigo Moya <rodrigo gnome-db org> <rodrigo ximian com>
http://www.gnome-db.org/