Re: [gnome-db]About Bonobo && libgda

On 27 Jun 2001 00:40:44 +0200, Carlos Perelló Marín wrote:
> El 26 Jun 2001 23:59:56 +0200, Rodrigo Moya escribió:
> > On 26 Jun 2001 22:02:19 +0200, Carlos Perelló Marín wrote:
> > > Well, I know that the bonobo libgda is a try to port the actual libgda
> > > to Bonobo. The report engine is starting it's implementation and I think
> > > that perhaps it's much more useful implement it with Bonobo support,
> > > althought the other libgda are using (now) plain CORBA.
> > >

> > > What do you think?
> > >
> > I think it's a nice idea, but, before starting to think about implementing
> > the report engine in a bonobo-based libgda, we need a bonobo-based
> > libgda working :-)
>

> You hadn't understand me. I'm talking about implement the report engine
> with Bonobo & the actual libgda "stable", then, when we finish the
> bonobo one, we can port the report engine to this one easily, because we
> don't have a hard dependencies on the rest of libgda.

but it does not make sense to have libgda not based on bonobo, and the
report engine based on it. If the report engine goes to libgda, it
should use plain CORBA. If it goes to libgda-bonobo, it can use bonobo

> > As you know, I have started a libgda-bonobo module in CVS, and I'm
> > getting to it much quicker than I thought (although I haven't been able
> > to test it due to OAF-2 problems, I think). So, my guess is that this
> > libgda-bonobo will actually see the light and replace the current
> > libgda, since as I'm implementing it, I'm cleaning up a lot of code, so
> > it seems the best option. But, maybe I'm wrong, so I wouldn't like you
> > to expend time on a maybe-death project.
> >
> > But, as I say, we need first to have this libgda-bonobo fully working,
> > with at least the basic functionality, so that we can *really* use it in
> > the bonobo-based report engine. So, the best option, IMO, would be you
> > to help me on libgda-bonobo, :-) or wait until I get something working.
> >

> I want to help you with this Bonobo port, but I can't stop the report
> engine development until we finish the bonobo port, I will need it soon
> and I think that we must have it finished (or almost useful) for the
> Gnome 2.0 release.

so, if you want it for GNOME 2.0, the best thing is to do it in
libgda-bonobo, since I expect, as I said, that it will replace libgda
for GNOME 2.0

> > But anyway, a good thing that you could start doing would be to port all
> > the report client part you did to GLib 2.0, as this is something that,
> > sooner or later, we'll have to do. For the client part, there is no need
> > to use Bonobo for the classes (GdaReport, GdaConnection, etc), just a
> > GObject/GtkObject would do the job, which is to provide us with signals,
> > and classes/objects
> >

> Well, you are talking about the "split" of the actual gda report into a
> Gnome 1.x version and a Gnome 2.0 version?
>
> At the client part of gdareport we will need BonoboXObject if we modify
> the IDL to use Bonobo, please, remember that I added the Report objects
> at the gda-report IDL.

no, at the client part you don't need BonoboXObject. BonoboXObject is intended
to let you implement CORBA interfaces based on Bonobo::Unknown. The
report client does not implement any interface, it USES the interfaces
implemented by the report server. So you just need the stubs generated
with orbit-idl. You need BonoboXObject for the server part (look at
libgda-bonobo, at lib/gda-client and lib/gda-server to see how client
and servers are implemented)

So, that's why I say that you can start doing the client part, since it
will be based in GLib 2.0 for both libgda and libgda-bonobo. So, it's
safe that you implement it in libgda-bonobo, and then, if in the
almost-impossible case that libgda-bonobo does not replace libgda, we'll
move it to libgda.

The server part is the problem. So, I would prefer that you implement it
based on Bonobo (in libgda-bonobo), so that I get up to speed in making
libgda-bonobo work