Re: [gnome-db]About Bonobo && libgda

El 26 Jun 2001 23:59:56 +0200, Rodrigo Moya escribió:
> On 26 Jun 2001 22:02:19 +0200, Carlos Perelló Marín wrote:
> > Well, I know that the bonobo libgda is a try to port the actual libgda
> > to Bonobo. The report engine is starting it's implementation and I think
> > that perhaps it's much more useful implement it with Bonobo support,
> > althought the other libgda are using (now) plain CORBA.
> >

> > What do you think?
> >
> I think it's a nice idea, but, before starting to think about implementing
> the report engine in a bonobo-based libgda, we need a bonobo-based
> libgda working :-)

You hadn't understand me. I'm talking about implement the report engine
with Bonobo & the actual libgda "stable", then, when we finish the
bonobo one, we can port the report engine to this one easily, because we
don't have a hard dependencies on the rest of libgda.

> As you know, I have started a libgda-bonobo module in CVS, and I'm
> getting to it much quicker than I thought (although I haven't been able
> to test it due to OAF-2 problems, I think). So, my guess is that this
> libgda-bonobo will actually see the light and replace the current
> libgda, since as I'm implementing it, I'm cleaning up a lot of code, so
> it seems the best option. But, maybe I'm wrong, so I wouldn't like you
> to expend time on a maybe-death project.
>
> But, as I say, we need first to have this libgda-bonobo fully working,
> with at least the basic functionality, so that we can *really* use it in
> the bonobo-based report engine. So, the best option, IMO, would be you
> to help me on libgda-bonobo, :-) or wait until I get something working.

I want to help you with this Bonobo port, but I can't stop the report
engine development until we finish the bonobo port, I will need it soon
and I think that we must have it finished (or almost useful) for the
Gnome 2.0 release.

> But anyway, a good thing that you could start doing would be to port all
> the report client part you did to GLib 2.0, as this is something that,
> sooner or later, we'll have to do. For the client part, there is no need
> to use Bonobo for the classes (GdaReport, GdaConnection, etc), just a
> GObject/GtkObject would do the job, which is to provide us with signals,
> and classes/objects

Well, you are talking about the "split" of the actual gda report into a
Gnome 1.x version and a Gnome 2.0 version?

At the client part of gdareport we will need BonoboXObject if we modify
the IDL to use Bonobo, please, remember that I added the Report objects
at the gda-report IDL.

> cheers

Bye

--