Re: [gnome-db]About Bonobo && libgda

On 26 Jun 2001 22:02:19 +0200, Carlos Perelló Marín wrote:
> Well, I know that the bonobo libgda is a try to port the actual libgda
> to Bonobo. The report engine is starting it's implementation and I think
> that perhaps it's much more useful implement it with Bonobo support,
> althought the other libgda are using (now) plain CORBA.
>

> What do you think?

I think it's a nice idea, but, before starting to think about implementing
the report engine in a bonobo-based libgda, we need a bonobo-based
libgda working :-)

As you know, I have started a libgda-bonobo module in CVS, and I'm
getting to it much quicker than I thought (although I haven't been able
to test it due to OAF-2 problems, I think). So, my guess is that this
libgda-bonobo will actually see the light and replace the current
libgda, since as I'm implementing it, I'm cleaning up a lot of code, so
it seems the best option. But, maybe I'm wrong, so I wouldn't like you
to expend time on a maybe-death project.

But, as I say, we need first to have this libgda-bonobo fully working,
with at least the basic functionality, so that we can *really* use it in
the bonobo-based report engine. So, the best option, IMO, would be you
to help me on libgda-bonobo, :-) or wait until I get something working.

But anyway, a good thing that you could start doing would be to port all
the report client part you did to GLib 2.0, as this is something that,
sooner or later, we'll have to do. For the client part, there is no need
to use Bonobo for the classes (GdaReport, GdaConnection, etc), just a
GObject/GtkObject would do the job, which is to provide us with signals,
and classes/objects