Re: [gnome-db]gnome-db and Report Writing

> > At this moment we don't have anything useful, but you can see our actual
> > work at libgda/report
>
> Ok... I will go take a look see...
>
> Do you have anything more recent?   What programming skills will you need
> for this?

well, there are different parts, so you can choose:
* CORBA/Bonobo for making the client and the report engine
* XSLT/XML for doing the converters. If you know about this, you'll be a
big help
* GTK/GNOME for the report designer/viewer

> Also, by the way, I am just learning about GNOME-DB.  So, don't be too hard
> on me... hehehe

don't worry, and ask whatever you want

> I would like to know if there is a GNOME-DB "provider" for Oracle databases.
> This is something I definitely am interested in taking a look at.

yes, but there are no packages, so you must compile libgda from sources.
To enable the Oracle provider, just pass a --with-oracle=yes to the
configure/autogen.
BTW, I made some fixes to the Oracle provider recently, and it's working
ok, so I would suggest that you get the sources from CVS, and not the
last tarball, which I think has a couple of small but important bugs. It
does not work with Oracle 8.0.x, just with 8i and, maybe, 9i

> What sparked my interest in GNOME-DB is the fact that it is something like
> the ADO / OLE DB model used by Windows.  Currently, I still have a lot of
> assumptions about GNOME-DB. So, please excuse the ignorance.

well, in part it's our fault, since the documentation is small and not very clear.
But yes, you can think of GNOME-DB a bit like ADO/OLE-DB/VB. That is:
* libgda is the equivalent to the OLE-DB engine
* gda-report is the equivalent to ... nothing that I know of. So let's
call a report server
* gnome-db is the equivalent to the nice DB-oriented widgets in VB. One
of these widgets will be the GnomeDbReport, which will offer similar
functionality than the one found in Crystal Reports, but based on the
gda-report server

As part of both libgda and gnome-db, there are some tools (GUI or
command-line) that use the different features.

And that's all