Re: [gnome-db]Re: libgda Perl bindings task

Is the Perl bindings a must?
Right now the configure script checks the existence of perl
without option as --with-perl. I think that we should enable
it to choose whether the Perl bindings is installed or not.

If you agree it, I will commit it.

RM> Hi Gregor!
RM> [CCed the gnome-db-list]

RM> On 05 Jul 2001 23:47:35 -0700, Gregor N. Purdy wrote:
>> I'd be interested in knowing more about what would be involved in taking on the "libgda Perl bindings" task. I'm plenty familiar with Perl (I've even contributed non-C code to the core). I'm familiar with GNOME from a user perspective, but I've never dealt with the guts before (I don't even know what libgda does yet--http://www.gnome-db.org/ is not responding right now).
>>
RM> The work will mean to make a binding for the libgda-common and libgda-client
RM> libraries, which are in CVS, under gnome-db/libgda/lib/gda-common and
RM> gnome-db/libgda/lib/gda-client. You would need just to get the header
RM> files, and make a perl module which calls those functions. The
RM> implementation details will be as you wish.
RM> Also, any suggestion on changes about the functions in those libraries
RM> to make it easier for the bindings would be taken into account.

RM> A (maybe useless) start of this bindings is already in CVS, under
RM> gnome-db/libgda/bindings/perl. Just feel free to remove everything from
RM> there, since it was me who did it, and I know very little about Perl :-(

RM> So, please, start with it as soon as you can, we really need those
RM> bindings :-) If you're familiar with Perl, I'm sure it will take you
RM> very little time to do it.

RM> gnome-db.org: yes, in the last days it's been unreachable for some time.
RM> But try now, it seems to work right now.

RM> cheers

Regards,
--
Akira TAGOH :: at gclab org
               tagoh gnome gr jp  / Japan GNOME Users Group