Re: Help with automake and autoconf in libglade support

On 04 Jan 2001 11:29:50 +0100, David Marín Carreño wrote:

> We have finished a very basic support of gnome-db widgets in libglade.
>
> Now, we have a serious problem: there's no one in ASPL that knows about
> automake/autoconf, and we don't know about integrating our patch to the
> main stream of libglade. We have compiled and installed it in a not very
> serious way... modifying the Makefile by hand and compiling.
>
> It worked, but that isn't the way.

I told you some time ago that I was going to help you on this, but,
well, I haven't been able, so I'll write down a quick step-by-step-guide
about how to do it, and whenever you find a problem/suggestion while
doing it yourself, just ask me. Here it is:

* touch README NEWS ChangeLog AUTHORS (in the top-level directory)

* create configure.in file in the top level directory. This file
includes all the checks needed for your program. Have a look at
gnome-db's configure.in to see how this file looks like. You'll need,
for this to work, the macros/ directory from GNOME CVS (or just get the
one in gnome-db, it's the same one). In that file you'll have to add
something like the following to check for gnome-db:

dnl
dnl Check for GNOME-DB
dnl
AC_MSG_CHECKING(for GNOME-DB)
if gnomedb-config --libs > /dev/null 2>&1
then
        AC_MSG_RESULT(found)
        GNOMEDB_CFLAGS=`gnomedb-config --cflags`
        GNOMEDB_LIBS=`gnomedb-config --libs`
else
        AC_MSG_ERROR(GNOME-DB is needed to compile ASPL-FACT)
fi

and similar for other libraries. To check for programas you've got the
AM_PATH_PROGRAM macro

* get the gnome-db/autogen.sh file and copy it to your top-level
directory. Modify it to match your project's name, files, etc

* in each subdirectory (and in the top-level directory), create a
Makefile.am file. This file is the template on which the generated
Makefile will be based on. There must be one on each directory, so have
a look at gnome-db/lib/Makefile.am to see how this is done for a
directory containing a library, at gnome-db/frontend/Makefile.am for a
program, gnome-db/doc/Makefile.am for a documentation directory,
gnome-db/idl for a data-only directory, and gnome-db/Makefile.am for the
top-level Makefile.am

there are some things that I'm missing that I don't remember right now,
so after doing what I've said, just run ./autogen.sh in the top-level
directory, and tell me any error you find, so that I can help you.

About libglade, what is the exact problem you're having?