Re: [gnome-db]'I'd like to colaborate implementing an IDE'

On 15 Aug 2001 00:17:28 +1200, Nick Hynes wrote:
> Hi Rodrigo,
>
> and thanks for the advice.
>
> The first thing I think I'll need is the ability to download & compile the
> CVS code. This was a problem when I tried to help Miguel out with the Bonobo
> documentation. Instead we spent a lot of time talking about the GNOME and
> the gecko.
>
> Seeing as I didn't have the time to become an authority on the Gnu cvs/build
> system I gave up.

CVS is very easy, really, you should not have much problems using it if
you're on a UNIX-like system. First thing is to login to the server:

cvs -z3 -d :pserver:anonymous anoncvs gnome org:/cvs/gnome login

it will ask for a password, just press enter. Then, to get the modules:

cvs -z3 -d :pserver:anonymous anoncvs gnome org:/cvs/gnome co
$module_name

for gnome-db, that will be:

cvs -z3 -d :pserver:anonymous anoncvs gnome org:/cvs/gnome co -r
gnome-1-x-branch gnome-db

we use the extra -r argument since right now we're using a CVS branch
for the stable version.

Then, to compile, just do:

./autogen.sh --help (look at all the options, and then re-run autogen.sh
passing it all the parameters you want)
make
make install

for gnome-db, you would need first to compile & install libgda which is
in gnome-db/libgda, and then compile & install gnome-db itself.

> Do you know of anyone on the project using SuSE 6.4? If not, then I guess
> I'll be installing RH 7.1.

well, it seems Gerhard is also using SuSe, so he may help you a bit.

> Either way, if you can point me in the direction of a good 'getting
> installed' FAQ/guide for the gnome-db development project it'd be much
> appreciated.

the above instructions about CVS/compiling may help you. Start with
this, and, as soon as you find any problem/question, don't hesitate in
sending a mail to the list, or to myself, if you prefer.

Anyway, just a quick info for compiling libgda/gnome-db

... get sources from CVS
cd gnome-db/libgda
./autogen.sh --prefix=/prefix/where/gnome/is/installed
--with-postgres=yes --with-oracle=yes --with-mysql=yes --with-odbc=yes)
make
make install
cd ..
./autogen.sh --prefix=/prefix/where/gnome/is/installed
make
make install

> We should have the mega-rider Internet link from next week, so hopefully
> I'll have more luck contributing now.
>
> I'll look into the areas of work you suggested, and then maybe write you
> back if you're not to busy.

I always have time for contributions to the gnome-db project :-) just
send me anything you want whenever you want.