Re: [gnome-db]0.2.90 tarballs

> Hi Rodrigo,
>
> it gets even more strange!
>
> I reinstalled libgda-0.2.90 and had the nice effect, that gda-test now
> 1.) works and 2.) on every call!?!?
> (You remember, with 0.2.10 it only worked at every second call).
> The only thing I changed since the last unsuccessfull trial was the
> installation of the now gconf-1.0.3

yes, this problem was fixed when we switched to Bonobo. The problem was
in the tons of crappy ORBit code that was in the providers
initialization. I don't know exactly where it was, but well, it's now
fixed, since we just use simple BonoboGenericFactory, which make all the
initialization stuff for us.

> But gnomedb-fe still does not work. As I don't know how to debug a
> bonobo-controll with gdb, I inserted

just start gnomedb-fe, go to a terminal, and debug the running
gnomedb-components process (get its PID by looking at `ps -ax | grep
components`, and then run gdb with `gdb gnomedb-components $PID`).
When you are into gdb, just type "b open_connection_cb" and then "c". It
will run until it gets to the open_connection_cb).

> some output-statements in open_connection_cb and noticed, that
> gnome_dialog_run(GNOME_DIALOG(dialog))
> doesn't return. It opens the second, empty dialog window and then hangs.
>
> I also tried gasql-0.6-0.2.90. After inserting an
> oaf_init(argc, argv)
> between gnome_init_with_popt_table (...) and bonobo_init (...)
> I could start it, but it also didn't work.
> After trying to connect to a DB I got a dialog window with:
> Error: -1, Description: %s: An Error occured in the CORBA system.

yes, that seems the problem something weird with the CORBA setup. All
components seem to be found since you can press the 'Connect' button,
which is in a component. So, we should look for the problem in
bonobo/oaf/ORBit, I think. Just try to debug the gnomedb-components
process, and we'll see where it's hanging

> > are you also using Mandrake?
>
> I use SuSE-Linux 7.1 with an old Kernel 2.2.16 because all newer kernels
> that I tested
> 2.2.17 ... 2.4.3 crash on my box.
> All GNOME-libs are up-to-date, compiled from source tarballs with gcc
> 2.95.2 (the 'older' stuff)
> and with gcc 3.0 (the 'newer' stuff), I installed gcc 3.0 at Jun, 23. 2001.
>
> Some ideas?
>
> Perhaps the mixture of gcc 2.95.2 and gcc 3.0 compiled modules makes the
> trubble???

hmm, I don't know, but it may be. Also, you say all GNOME stuff is
compiled from sources, so it may be some missing library. Try to start
the components (gnomedb-components, gnomedb-mgr) and the front end from
a terminal and see what they output.