Re: [gnome-db]'I'd like to colaborate implementing an IDE'

On 10 Aug 2001 23:42:43 +1200, Nick Hynes wrote:
> I've been looking at this very concept.
>
> My ideas are based loosely on FileMaker pro, but it would be nice to work
> some GLADE/Dia integration in with it all.
>
> Where do I start...?

Hi Nick!

first of all, thanks for wanting to help :-)

Well, the problem on this task is that we depend on the new version of
Glade (targetted to GNOME 2 and not yet working). So, for the moment,
the only thing you could do is to help on Glade.

Other stuff you could work on is to talk with the gIDE guys
(http://www.gnome.org/projects/devtools) to see how gnome-db could be
integrated into gIDE.

Another thing, which is the most immediate (in the sense that you can
start working/using on it right now) is to finish the integration of the
gnome-db widgets in the GNOME 1.x version of Glade. The problem with
this, as you can guess, is that all the work you do on this would have
to be redone for the GNOME 2.x version of Glade (or at least, most of
it).

About the Dia integration, that's another history, since one thing that
would be really nice to have is to have the DB designer based on the Dia
XML format (not on our own, as it is right now), so that we can reuse
the Dia editor (via Bonobo) in gnome-db. This is something that, AFAIK,
won't change that much for GNOME 2, so all the work you do on this would
be very useful.

So, what do you think?