Re: [gnome-db]libgda-0.2.3 and Oracle 8i Enterprise

On 22 Apr 2001 15:55:57 -0500, Bob Jones wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> I hate to sound like a newbie, but considering that I have just made the
> switch from Windoze to Linux, I am.  Anyway, I seem to be having probs
> configuring/compiling libgda-0.2.3 to run with Oracle 8i.  If I use the
> following:
>
> ./configure
> make
> make install
>
> it compiles and installs great.  But, when I run gnome-db (after
> compiling/installing) there are no GDA providers and it won't accept my
> manual additions.  So it appears to me that I have to specify that I
> want Oracle support.  Hence using ./configure --with-oracle=<oracle home
> dir.> (using <oracle home/lib> refuses to even configure properly).
> Using this switch works fine until make gets to
> libgda-0.2.3/providers-gda-oracle-server at which point its throws the
> following:
>
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -1server
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

hmmm, this seems to be a typo (strange, very strange). Could you open
your libgda/configure.in file, search for the ORACLE_LIBS variable, and
send me its contents?

> My question is; is there some parameter I'm missing during the
> configuration (or a directory that needs to be added to /etc/ld.so.conf
> or .profile) or is there another way to get libgda to compile for a
> locally running Oracle8i server?

no, there aren't, although I vaguely remember that it did work with only either
Oracle 8.0.5 or Oracle 8i (don't remember which one), so the problem
you're having may be due to that. Send me what the ORACLE_LIBS var has,
and we'll see what can it be.

Rodrigo Moya <rodrigo gnome-db org> <rodrigo ximian com>
http://www.gnome-db.org/