Re: New ideas about the report engine :-)

> > > Sorry, Rodrigo, but as Miguel de Icaza told me at the IRC, Bonobo will
> > > be Gnome independent (and somewhere at gnome site I also read it), then
> > > i don't know why you said that. Bonobo will be Gnome independent and X
> > > independent. At this moment it depends on Gnome because the GtkObject
> > > (as libgda).
> > >
> > well, AFAIK (maybe something has changed in the last weeks, but not that
> > I know), Bonobo is now splitted into 2 libs, libbonobo and libbonobox,
> > but both are distributed in the same package (same RPM or deb), which
> > depends on gnome-libs. Of course, the libbonobo does not use any X
> > library, but to have it installed, you need gnome-libs and X libs
> > installed.
> >
> > If you know this has changed, it's ok for me to use BonoboObject as the
> > base for all the objects, not only in the report part, but in libgda-*
> > also. But if not, we shouldn't add this dependency.
> >

> When i talk with Miguel, i tell him that i need Gtk/Gnome independence,
> and then i need a way to get a GtkObject to use it at IDL file. He told
> me that for that we must use BonoboObject because it parts from
> GtkObject and at the near future from GObject and it will completely be
> separated from Gnome/Gtk.
>

> What you tell me now is new for me, but, i think that we could ask it.
> But what i don't understand is.. if you say that libbonobo "does not use
> any X library", but "you need gnome-libs and X libs", you are telling me
> two different things!!!!

no, what I'm saying is that although libbonobo is X-independent, it's
not distributed independently of Bonobo, but with Bonobo (that is, it's
the bonobo-x.xx.rpm), which DOES depend on gnome-libs. That is, to
install the non-X part of Bonobo, you need to have gnome-libs installed,
or, of course:

rpm -Uvh --nodeps --force bonobo-x.xx.rpm

which is, IMO, bad to say to system admins.

But as I said before, if you're sure that this won't happen (that is,
that there will be a bonobo-x.xx.rpm and a bonobox.x.xx.rpm), I agree in
using BonoboObject.