Re: New ideas about the report engine :-)

> > > No, you shouldn't use BonoboObject for the report part, since although
> > > Bonobo has been now splitted into a X and a non-X libraries, using
> > > Bonobo makes a program depend on gnome-libs, so this is not what we
> > > want.
> > >

> > Sorry, Rodrigo, but as Miguel de Icaza told me at the IRC, Bonobo will
> > be Gnome independent (and somewhere at gnome site I also read it), then
> > i don't know why you said that. Bonobo will be Gnome independent and X
> > independent. At this moment it depends on Gnome because the GtkObject
> > (as libgda).
> >
> well, AFAIK (maybe something has changed in the last weeks, but not that
> I know), Bonobo is now splitted into 2 libs, libbonobo and libbonobox,
> but both are distributed in the same package (same RPM or deb), which
> depends on gnome-libs. Of course, the libbonobo does not use any X
> library, but to have it installed, you need gnome-libs and X libs
> installed.
>
> If you know this has changed, it's ok for me to use BonoboObject as the
> base for all the objects, not only in the report part, but in libgda-*
> also. But if not, we shouldn't add this dependency.

When i talk with Miguel, i tell him that i need Gtk/Gnome independence,
and then i need a way to get a GtkObject to use it at IDL file. He told
me that for that we must use BonoboObject because it parts from
GtkObject and at the near future from GObject and it will completely be
separated from Gnome/Gtk.

What you tell me now is new for me, but, i think that we could ask it.
But what i don't understand is.. if you say that libbonobo "does not use
any X library", but "you need gnome-libs and X libs", you are telling me
two different things!!!!

> cheers

Bye