Re: Antw: [First IDL proposal] and [Some ideas to the report engine...]

> > Well, here you have my first proposal to the gdareport's IDL.
> >
> > It's only a skeleton, it isn't ended.
> >
> > As you could see, it's very similar to the report's DTD.
> >
> > Please feel free to ask me about it :-)
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
>

> Hi Carlos,

Hello

> some comments about your gda-report.idl:
>
> - all the attributes with type long should have type float, if you allow units inch and cm.

Ok, my mistake :-).

> - what do the methods setGeometry and move do?

Well, i don't know if we must put those methods here or at the client
library, i put it for test things.

setGeometry -> modifies the size of an object.
move -> modifies the coordinates where the object is.

> >     A method to open a report (openreport), that will gave us a
> >     Report object.
> >     A method to poblate a report with data from a gda source
> >     (fillreport)
> >     A method to save the report with its data (export as XML, PS,
> >     PDF, HTML, etc.) (savereport)
> >     And a method to close the report (closereport).
> > I think that this is the most simple approachment to this problem,
> > please, suggestions, ideas, questions are welcomed.
>
> What does 'openreport' do?
> - create a new (empty) report object?
> - or read the XML-representation of a report obect?
> - or something else?

It is for initialization stuff, for example to know how many people are
referencing a report, for read the XML-representation and get the object
representation...

> 'fillreport' is obvious.
>
> if I understand you right, 'savereport' does either save the populated
> report object in XML format or export it to some other format.
> How do you want to do this export? With XSL?

Well, the save of the data in XML format i have see it as export as XML,
then it's another way to export data.

> What does 'closereport' do?

to close all the references by this client to this report.

> I couldn't find these methods in the idl file.

Well, i need some time and we must talk all this things before :-)

When we talk about the use of Bonobo and other things i will continue
with all this.