Re: Access like Application

> Hallo

Hi Artur!

> (sorry for my German-English)
>
> I have developed an Form Gernerator for relational Datebases (GPL)
> http://www.xdobry.de/index_en.html
> The System has 3 komponets
> SchemaEditor
> FormEditor (Drap & Drop GUI Editor)
> FormServer (Appikation which can display forms and generate SQL-DML)
>
> In this time they are programmed in Tcl.
> It support some extendet technologies as: nested Forms, Form-Links,
> userfriendly display of foreign-keys
>
> I plan to develop an FormServer as Gnome Applikation.
> The Idea: Code DB-Forms as Architecture-Independent XML-Files.
> The FormServers (programmes in Java, C++, Tcl) can display them.
>
> Thera are already an Application for develop GUI (Glade).
> But it do not support DB-oriented information (such mapping table-rows
> and widgetentries).
> The are 2 solution:
> 1) Extend Glade for specify DB Information (such as NOT NULL, tables,
> rows)
> 2) Build an extra Application to reach the GLADE XML-Gui description
> whith
>     DB oriented information. I preffer this solution.
>
> Please:
> Mail me if you work for such application (DB-Forms).
> I mean such as MS Access, Lotus Approach, dBase
> I don't want to develop it twice.

a form generator/builder is one of the things that are on the TODO list. In
fact, if you get the CVS version, there is a directory (builder/) where an
IDE for all this DB-related things should take place.

But in gnome-db we are now integrating with Bonobo (the GNOME components
system), so it would be really cool if you could implement this stuff
as Bonobo components, which could be easily embedded into other
applications.

I am myself right now dealing with Bonobo all the time, so if you want to
start on this, count on my help.

About the MS Access stuff, the basic one is implemented in the gnomedb-fe
application. It includes a SQL window, a DB browser, a DB designer, a log
viewer, etc.

The other thing that really interests me is the integration with glade. I've
been looking for somebody to help on this for centuries. What must be done
is to extend the current GNOME-DB integration in Glade, since right now
is almost useless. Again, it would be kool if you did this.

As a note, on the Glade TODO list there is something about exporting the Glade
interface through CORBA/Bonobo, so you may want to use this for your
extra application you tal about (or the GNOME-DB builder, which is one
thing I had also in mind)

Please subscribe to the list (gnome-db-list gnome org) so that we can discuss
all this in more detail with the other GNOME-DB people.