Re: oracle

"Laurent.Marzullo@sema.be" wrote:

> Hello again ....
>
> I haven't got any oracle data base running on my localhost. The oracle database
> GDB is running on a Sun OS 2.6 wich is not my localhost !
>
> So, the patch that you are talking about is it for oracle for Unix ? In this case
> I don't really need it, isn't it ?

no, it's for oracle on your linux machine, where you must have installed
the client part. After installing this, you must apply the patch, and
then recompile the oracle provider.

> I specify the hostname of the Sun in the DNS as HOSTNAME=193.74.244.6
> Is the gda-oracle-svr able to connect to a distant Oracle database or must
> the data base run localy on my linux box ?

It's able to connect to a remote database, but you must configure your
tnsnames.ora (in $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin/), and add an entry there
for your remote database. I've attached a sample tnsnames.ora (from an
NT machine though, but the format should be the same AFAIK). Then, you
should specify as the DSN (in the gdalib file) the following:

DSN="DATABASE=tnsnames_entry"

Cheers

TNSNAMES.ORA