Re: [Fwd: Re: Pregunta sobre el estado de gnome-db para el desarrollo]

> > > I don't know were i must start with all this. Some idea? (if not,  I
> > > will begun with the integration with GLADE to build the form's editor,
> > > ok?.
> > >
> > IMO, you should start by wrapping the Gda_Report (or whatever name you
> > use) as is Vivien going to do with the Gda_XmlQuery object. For this,
> > you make wrapper functions for all access to the XML stuff (save, load,
> > set_property, add_*, ....). Then, being able to programatically modify,
> > load and save this XML file format, you build the gnome-print stuff
> > (preview and printing), and the UI designer based in glade/libglade.
>
> One thing i don't understand well, if i will use glade to create the
> form in a graphical way, Why don't use the glade's xml file format?

Well, I think that glade/libglade should only be used for the UI
presentation. But apart from this, you need a file format to store the
report itself (not the UI stuff, because the UI stuff is built
dynamically from the report file format). This file should be something
like this (with thousand more things):

<REPORT>
<DSN>
  <NAME>test-dsn</NAME>
  <USER>username</USER>
</DSN>
<DETAIL>
  <SQL>SELECT name, address, email FROM agenda</SQL>
  <FUNCTION>function to be called for each row</FUNCTION>
</DETAIL>
</REPORT>

(This is just an example, so don't get it as the 'real' format)

Then, as I said in the other mail, you write a wrapper to manage this
file format (gda_report_save. gda_report_add_detail.....). And then, you
write a GTK widget which lets you visually design and execute (preview,
etc) this file format.

All these are just ideas, and are, more or less, what we talked with
Cédric (am I right Vivien? Cédric?)

And now that I think, I don't know if using libglade is the right thing,
because we don't want to have a static format stored in a file, but a
widget capable of converting the report file format into a visual
representation of the report structure (not the report itself!) as, for
instance, the Crystal Reports designer (I don't remember the name, but
it's the part where you design the report) does. Then, this widget must
also be able to print (and preview) the output of the report, but this
is dynamic, not a file which is loaded. And if you want to save the
report output, gnome-print DOES include support for doing so.

But again, correct me if I'm wrong!

Cheers