Re: DTD: Possible missing attributes/entities - Was: revised gda-xml-query.dtd

Rodrigo Moya wrote:
> I'll make an initial DTD during the weekend, and then we'll comment on
> it. Although David, you can prepare one proposal as well if you want.
> Although, as I said in a previous mail, I would start just defining the
> stuff for the TABLES (and maybe VIEWS) and then we'll extend it, all
> right?
I just wanted the owner/schema to be an entity in its own right,
not just an attribute of a table/view.  Hmmm.  What are the possible
attributes of a schema entity?  Something like a privilege summary?
Membership of various roles/groups? (Ouch, another entity?)

Hmmm.  Pity I haven't pulled apart the system catalogs for Oracle 8i
yet.  I knew them pretty well inside out for versions 4 through 7.
Maybe thats something we can do - systematically hack the current
catalogs from the various vendors as a guide to the MINIMUM we need
to handle.

Any XML gurus out there feel that a "style sheet" might be appropriate
for vendor to vendor conversion?  I wonder whether our problems
might be ameliorated by opening some ties with OASIS?  Is anybody
out there working for a company that is a member of OASIS?  (Come
on, some one has to be wearing a blue suit!)

I indicated before, I'm not comfortable yet working on a DTD de-novo,
but I'm ready to comment.  How about others from the Sybase, Postgres
worlds having their say?

> most importantly, gnome-db is not yet in
> a state where we can say it's the premier open source interface.
That's why I said it that way instead of "gda".
Anyway, from 0.95 (which took a bit of makefile hacking to get to
work with Oracle8i), I was really impressed as a user with gdafe.
Unfortunately, I have not put it on my current machine, but on
machines where I have put it down, I tend to have the following
windows open:
	ksqlplus (1 session)
		Because of its history and for SQL*Plus scripts
		I have hanging about.  Without history/scrolling
		I'd just use SQL*Plus.
	gdafe
		As the SQL worksheet, with at least two connections.
	objectmanager2beta
		From www.orasoft.org - browse object definitions.
	sqlwork
		From www.orasoft.org - a bit like gdafe but without
		the cool tabbed sessions.
	sessionman
		From www.orasoft.org
	vi/ksh
		For my editing, and for piping thru to the
		official sqlplus

Oh, but for grunt database work? DBI/DBD.  Perhaps this is
something that needs to be addressed by gdafe, a GUI-less
implementation for cron jobs, middleware server daemons, etc.
--
David T. Bath bathd@edipost.auspost.com.au
+613 9204 8713 (W) 0418 316 634 (Mbl)