Re: diffenrences between providers / servers

On mer, 26 jui 2000, you wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I haven't done any programming with gdb yet, but I did some with
> ADO / DAO and the other M$ stuff.
>
> The the main problem I encountered when developing db independend
> apps is
> that the SQL dialect you have to use when querying different data
> sources differs. The query is, for the most part, just
> passed on to the driver, isnt it? Just one example from ADO:
> parameters work fine with one datasource, but the same query
> doesnt (parameters in a union select) work with another one.
>
> Isnt it possible to write a SQL abstraction layer that provides
> one defined SQL dialect and translates them into the data source's
> SQL ?
>
> How does gnome-db handle query's?

That is the very reason we started to create XML queries (and the the other XML
stuff), to create a way of describing a query using XML so every DBMS provider
will translate the XML queries into its own SQL like language (DBMS providers
are part of gnome-db). H

ave a look at the gda-xml-query.dtd file from the
gda-common directory to have an idea of what it looks like (though a lot of
modifications are about to be done).

> Jens
>
> Why isnt it "Standardized Query Language" ? :-/

Ahhhh!

Cheers,