diffenrences between providers / servers

Hi,

I haven't done any programming with gdb yet, but I did some with
ADO / DAO and the other M$ stuff.

The the main problem I encountered when developing db independend
apps is
that the SQL dialect you have to use when querying different data
sources differs. The query is, for the most part, just
passed on to the driver, isnt it? Just one example from ADO:
parameters work fine with one datasource, but the same query
doesnt (parameters in a union select) work with another one.

Isnt it possible to write a SQL abstraction layer that provides
one defined SQL dialect and translates them into the data source's
SQL ?

How does gnome-db handle query's?

Jens

Why isnt it "Standardized Query Language" ? :-/