Re: Antw: Re: revised gda-xml-query.dtd

Hi Vivien,

you wrote:

> > This implies, that the query element should be changed to
> >
> > <!ELEMENT query (select|insert|update|delete|create|drop)>
> > <!ATTLIST query
> >           id NMTOKEN #IMPLIED>
> >
> > and these new elements have to be defined.
>
> Yes, that would mainly solve the problem we talked about, and it will be easier
> to know what can and cannot appear and where. That is the right way to proceed.

I'm glad that you like it, but this means, that your gda-xml-query.c has to be totally rewritten.

> Ok, it looks better than what I proposed, so let's go with it, but let's
> replace
> <!ATTLIST type
>            name NMTOKEN  #REQUIRED
>           size NMTOKENS #REQUIRED>
> by
> <!ATTLIST type
>            name NMTOKEN  #REQUIRED
>            size NMTOKENS #IMPLIED>
> because not all data types need to give a size (like 'cidr' under postgres for
> IP adresses)

I wasn't sure if we require the size, but you are right. If the type has no variants, the size would be redundant.

> > This scheme allows the construction of at least the same data types as the C langage.
> >

> > As the C-structs are extended to classes in C++ we could also extend this scheme to support OO.
> >

> What do you have in mind?

It's not matured now, but when I'm able to put it into some DTD elements, I will send you a proposal.

> What would be nice is to make a new version of the DTD from all we have
> discussed so far. As I leave my current work here in Paris at the end of the
> week, I'm quite busy. I'll probably be also busy next week when I start my new
> job in Toulouse, so if you don't want to do it, I'll do it after next week.

It's almost ready :-). I also made some test-docs to check the syntax. I will send it all to you and the gnome-db-list during this week.

Gerhard