Re: Oracle Server for gnome-db

Stephan Heinze wrote:

> > I'm thrilled that you've written an Oracle server for gnome-db, but I've
> > been so far unsuccessful in setting it up.  Do you have an example
> > gnome_db.gnorba file that shows how the Oracle section should be
> > configured?

I'm thrilled too!

> You've got gnome-db from cvs? Or from tarball (release 0.90.00 is actual
> -
> I think)?

Well, it's 0.0.90 the one on the web site.

> > So far, I only get seg faults when I try to connect to our database.
>
> It's a known problem. What's your environment (oracle version, glibc
> version
> and compiler). Did you have patched oracle (glibc-patch)?
>
> Please gimme more information, 'cause I can't get it crashed on my two
> boxes.
>
> Rodrigo: did you got it running?

No sorry, as I only have oracle installed on my machine at home, and I
haven't switched it on since last year. I am right now trying to make place
in my computer at work to install it, to be able to test it. But, anyway,
yesterday I started downloading oracle-8.1.5 (couldn't finish the download),
which, as said in the oracle web site, works with kernel-2.2.*, so this will
avoid the problem, or not?

> > Should I be using a TNS name, or giving the entire database descriptor
> > in the DSN field of GDA config?
>
> you should use the tnsname or the name of your oracle_sid if you want to
> access
> a local instance. or leave it empty and the $ORACLE_SID will be used.
>
> here an entry of my ~/.gnome/gdalib
>
> [mumu]
> Provider=gda-oracle
> DSN=DATABASE=hbci_mumu
> Description=
> Configurator=
>
> this should also be in the example gdalib I think.

Yes, it is

> the gnorba file should be installed automaticly and you don't have to
> change
> it manualy.

Right, there is no need to change this file. You should edit the
$HOME/.gnome/gdalib file (or modify it via the gdafe application). The gnorba
file just contains a list of available providers, whereas the gdalib file
contains the data sources you'll be able to access.

Cheers