Re: roadmap for 0.0.92

On mar, 29 fév 2000, Rodrigo Moya wrote:
> Vivien Malerba wrote:
>
> > On mar, 29 fév 2000, Rodrigo Moya wrote:
> > > Hi all!
> > >
> > > Well, now that the 0.0.91 version is out, we should start thinking on
> > > things to go for the next release. This is what I think:
> > >
> > > * XML queries: Vivien has done something about this in the postgres
> > > server. My idea is to integrate this in the XML interface. That is,
> > > we'll add a new method to the IDL interfaces (exec_xml or whatever) to
> > > be implemented by all providers. Then, the XML interface in the client
> > > lib should provide methods for creating/loading/saving a query, as it is
> > > done with tables and views right now.
> >
> > Well, I have not yet started to implement anything regarding the XML queries in
> > the postgres provider, I wanted to discuss it more before doing anything. I'll
> > alos have to understand better how the gnome-db XML interface works.
> >

> sorry, I had a quick look at the changes you made to the SCHEMA_PROCS and thought
> it was related to what we talked about the XML queries. So, what does the builtin
> stuff do?

For the postgres provider, any recordset returned to the client was a
"translating layer" between a PGresult and something of the IDL. I simply
implemented a way to create recorsets which do not translate from a PGresult
object, but from something created into the provider (similar to a PGresult but
which has nothing to do with the postgres backend). This enables me to create
recordsets for queries I could not make directly to the backend. I can compose
my own recordsets.

> > > * GDA manager: I am working on the system-wide config stuff. When this
> > > is finished, we should add a bonobo component template which will then
> > > be used by all providers. This needs a deep study of bonobo, at least
> > > for my part.
> >
> > For my part too!
> >
> > I'm working on gASQL to make a release soon.
> > I have a question about the packaging: gnome-db needs the gnome-print libs,
> > which have not yet been integrated into gnome. Do you know where to get them
> > (except from CVS)?
> >

> I donwloaded it from rpmfind.net. You go to "RPM index by name" and there, in the
> G, you can find it. This is an old version, but it is enough for the current
> version of gnome-db. I don't know of another place to find it.

How about putting a LINKS section on the WWW site of gnome-db to point to that
ressource (maybe among others). The first time I wanted to look at gnome-db, I
had a hard time to find the gnome-print libs, and this could discourage people.
What do you think?

Regards.