Re: restructuration

On Wed, 2 Aug 2000, Rodrigo Moya wrote:

> > > I think it uses ctlib. If there is an open source implementation of it,
> > > it would be great to have it working with that.
> > >
> > Yes, FreeTDS (http://www.freetds.org) is an LGPL implementation of dblib
> > and ctlib, that works from TDS 4.2 (sybase < 10.0, MS SQL < 7.0), 5.0
> > (Sybase 10.0+), and 7.0 (MS SQL 7.0+).  I'm going to try to build gnome-db
> > against it and see what happens.
> >
> The version in CVS does not work at all. What Holger meant is that he's
> got (in his local copy) it working. So, Holger, I think you said you
> sent the code to Stephan for inclusion? If so, Stephan please commit.
> And if not, please Holger send me the code and I'll commit it myself so
> that Brian can test it.
>
> > Anyone got any tips on starting this endevour?  (Required gnome lib
> > versions etc...I'm starting with RedHat 6.1, so I'm assuming I'll want to
> > upgrade some rpms before starting).
> >
> you'll need a recent version of GNOME, I think the one shipped with
> RH6.1 might be a bit old, but there shouldn't be any problem. But, as
> soon as you find a little one, you should better upgrade to Helix GNOME
> (www.helixcode.com). Apart from this, you'll need Bonobo. If you want, I
> can send you RPMs for the very latest version, which I built myself.

Ok, thanks (I actually have a rh6.2 cd somewhere around here, I'm just
dreading bring down a lot of packages until my DSL line is re-installed
-- just moved and it takes forever and a day to get dsl). Anyway, I'm
going on vacation tommorow and won't be back for a week, so I'll bring
everything down then.  BTW, I was also interested in doing a gnome-vfs
module for MS Access files (using libmdb, my other project).  Anybody got
a feel if the gnome-vfs/Nautilus stuff is stable enough to start that
undertaking?

Cheers,

Brian