Re: gnome-db-0.0.90 released

Rodrigo Moya wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> Well, now that the new version is out, let's start thinking on the next
> steps:
>
> * fix oracle server: Stephan, I'll try to do what you said about
> compiling. But I really thought that applying the glibcpatch was enough.
> Does this mean that you have to compile all your apps making use of the
> oracle libs with the compat-gcc compiler? Anyway, it should be as simple
> as changing the compiler in the Makefiles for the oracle server.
> * common server framework: it's almost finished, waiting to be tested on
> real servers
> * UI library: add more widgets and improve the existing ones. The first
> set of widgets to be added should be GnomeEntry derived ones, so that we
> can start ASAP the full-featured GDA builder.
> * bonobo: as GNOME-DB is included in the GNOME Office, we should export
> most of the functionality through bonobo objects. I haven't this very
> clear myself, so any suggestions?
> * documentation: we should include a programmer's tutorial and a user's
> guide for the UI applications.
> * terminate MySQL server: Bruno is on it, although, Bruno, you may want
> to wait for the server framework to be finished to re-start the MySQL
> provider, so that you don't get lost through the ORBit source code

Ok. I have checked the v0.0.90. In my precedent mail I explained the
problem I
encountered compiling. Note this is fixed for me.

1) gdafe crash if the gda-mysql-srv isn't active. If you launch
goad-browser
and activate it, it works. You can connect, and even use it !

> * terminate PostgreSQL server: this is me, I have to add some missing
> things, such as types, schema implementations, ...
> * bindings for script languages, such as perl/python...
> * the FE now needs a good face-lift. For example, the export utility
> should be changed to show all objects in a GtkCTree widget

2) What I propose is the following UI :

Once connected, a window (corresponding to the connection tab) appears,
showing, with a GtkCTree object the structure of the data:
Database1
 +-Table1
 |  +- Field1 | type | KEY | Default
 |  +- Field2 | type | KEY | Default
 |  +- Field3 | type | KEY | Default
 +-Table2
 |  +- Field1 | type | KEY | Default
 |  +- Field2 | type | KEY | Default
 |  +- Field3 | type | KEY | Default

and so on.

To help creating sql query, add Drag'n Drop from this window to the sql
text entry.
For example, I type into the sql query text entry :

	"select * from"

Then drag "Table1" from it, and the query becomes "select * from
Database1.table1", and the same for fields.

3) A Query wizard, ala Access, but a little more powerful. This is
difficult to design exactly because with very complex query, with
multiple join, left join, ... the wizard might become very complex.

Access handle this with the following : You can use their relationship
window and a grid with all the field you want to use in the query.

for example you have zip code/locality relation. A small line is drawed
between the two corresponding fields. As far as I understand Database
structure and designing, in order to have a comprehensive structure you
should use at least two fields for each table : The primary key of the
zip code, and the zip itself, and for locality, three field : primary
key, locality string, a pointer to zip code primary key.

Ok I know it is not a good example, so don't beat me the head with it
:-)

Obviously, creating a query would be something like :

SELECT zip_code,locality from locality LEFT JOIN zip ON
zip.ID=locality.zipID

This query gives the corresponding. Access doesn't want the basic user
to see (though he can, but then he is no more a basic user :)

Access2000 has an improvement from Access 97. In A2000 you can define
the type of the join you want to create (unique join, outer join,...)

Then, if you drag the zip_code field and the locality field,
automatically, Access will create the sql query I cited above.

I hate Access, but the part to create query is a very good piece of
software that let design query very easily.

I know that while the server and CORBA part isn't finished, this
shouldn't be started, but it might important to discuss it in order to
have a good start.

4) It might become interesting to begin thinking of a Gnome-DB Project
File structure.

Gnumeric use XML (gzipped) for saving the grid. Why not looking in this
direction ? (and of course, a possibility to export query result in
gnumeric file format ?)

> My plans are to find a person to be responsible for each provider, so
> that I can concentrate on the CORBA stuff as well as the UI apps. Right
> now, we've got Stephan for the oracle server, Bruno for the MySQL
> server, and the ODBC server is being reserved to a guy who works for a
> company specialized in ODBC who told me that he'll be helping gnome-db
> in a while. So this leaves my postgresql server alone, with no parents.
> I'll continue to maintain it until we find a PostgreSQL guru. Also, the
> ldap server (which is almost empty) should be done. Right now, I'm in
> the process of installing openldap on my linux box to see what can be
> done. But, as always, if anybody wants to do it, just raise your hand...
>
> The idea on this is to have a person knowing very well the underlying
> database to make the servers work as they might. I know postgres for a
> while now, but as I'm always busy (why do days don't have more hours?),
> I haven't had time to look deeper on it. Look, for an example, on how
> quickly and well has the oracle server been done, because it was done by
> somebody knowing OCI.

Apart from this, I will have for my regular job, to create a full
featured web application, to help different conceptor of a project to
manage the whole thing.

Each person should login, then see what has to be done, check what has
been done, add, modify, delete element in the project.

Gnome-db is a project with lots of element that can be separated. So why
not trying to use it. This would be reserved to developper only as a
beta version. I will keep you in touch if there is any interest. (BTW I
can host, on my own server the project).

Cheers,
Bruno
--
Intersted in graphical compiler ? visit http://graph.virgoplus.com