Re: gnome-db-0.0.90 released

Hi all!

Well, now that the new version is out, let's start thinking on the next
steps:

* fix oracle server: Stephan, I'll try to do what you said about
compiling. But I really thought that applying the glibcpatch was enough.
Does this mean that you have to compile all your apps making use of the
oracle libs with the compat-gcc compiler? Anyway, it should be as simple
as changing the compiler in the Makefiles for the oracle server.
* common server framework: it's almost finished, waiting to be tested on
real servers
* UI library: add more widgets and improve the existing ones. The first
set of widgets to be added should be GnomeEntry derived ones, so that we
can start ASAP the full-featured GDA builder.
* bonobo: as GNOME-DB is included in the GNOME Office, we should export
most of the functionality through bonobo objects. I haven't this very
clear myself, so any suggestions?
* documentation: we should include a programmer's tutorial and a user's
guide for the UI applications.
* terminate MySQL server: Bruno is on it, although, Bruno, you may want
to wait for the server framework to be finished to re-start the MySQL
provider, so that you don't get lost through the ORBit source code
* terminate PostgreSQL server: this is me, I have to add some missing
things, such as types, schema implementations, ...
* bindings for script languages, such as perl/python...
* the FE now needs a good face-lift. For example, the export utility
should be changed to show all objects in a GtkCTree widget

My plans are to find a person to be responsible for each provider, so
that I can concentrate on the CORBA stuff as well as the UI apps. Right
now, we've got Stephan for the oracle server, Bruno for the MySQL
server, and the ODBC server is being reserved to a guy who works for a
company specialized in ODBC who told me that he'll be helping gnome-db
in a while. So this leaves my postgresql server alone, with no parents.
I'll continue to maintain it until we find a PostgreSQL guru. Also, the
ldap server (which is almost empty) should be done. Right now, I'm in
the process of installing openldap on my linux box to see what can be
done. But, as always, if anybody wants to do it, just raise your hand...

The idea on this is to have a person knowing very well the underlying
database to make the servers work as they might. I know postgres for a
while now, but as I'm always busy (why do days don't have more hours?),
I haven't had time to look deeper on it. Look, for an example, on how
quickly and well has the oracle server been done, because it was done by
somebody knowing OCI.