Re: newbe compile problem

> Hello all!
>
> 1. Running autogen.sh result in Makefiles with 0 length.
> There are some
>  Broken pipe: sed: invalid s command
> messages when the configure script try to create the Makefiles.
> I have linux-2.2.12 kernel on debian 2.1 slink system.

This is the same error somebody mailed to the list a few days ago. I'm not
sure what may be causing this, but please send to the list your
automake/autoconf/libtool versions. Or even better, download the new
release (0.0.90) which I've just uploaded to the web site
(http://www.gnome.org/gnome-db/), which includes a generated configure file
which should fix all these errors.

> 2. Please confirm if I understood right:
> a) gnome-db is suitable for writing a three-tiered application,
> I must write an application server and a client application.

It is suitable for 3-tiered apps, but you don't need to write an app
server. It is 3-tiered in the sense that you can execute the client in a
machine, the GDA provider in another, and the database server in another
one. You can write, only if you want, a DB provider, which is a CORBA
server acting as a data source for a specific RDBMS. If you don't need a
new DB provider (ODBC, oracle, postgres and MySQL are supported right now),
you'll just have to write just a client app, by making use of the GNOME-DB
client libs.

> b) gnome-db has a more easy to use database library,
> and a database GUI library.

It is easy to use, but more than what? And, yes, it includes a GUI library
with a set of data-bound widgets.

> I was looking for a RAD tool suitable to build SQL based database
> applications for linux. I hope gnome-db is something like this.
> I didn't find other projects.

As soon as we fix some things that need to, I'll concentrate on the GDA
builder app, which will use glade/libglade to allow visual editing of
data-aware screens. This is maybe what you're looking for?

Cheers