RE: fixes on gda-oracle-server (fwd) [WatchDog checked]

at Tue, 14 Dec 1999 16:08:27 Olivier Nenert wrote:

> Hi Stephan...

Hallo Olivier,

> >Question: Should gnome-db become a administration tool for databases?
> >You've written about import/export, ownerships of tables and so on. In
> that
> case
> >we
> >should provide much more informations about the objects (but that seems to
> >become quite difficult because of the different functionality of the
> >RDBMS).
> >

> Well.. I guess the answer must be yes, but not only that.
> So.. I suppose the right way to handle this would be to let the server part
> having this information
> capability, and only let it to any asking clients. So that a client with a
> specific admin-tool purpose
> would ask for all this information, whole the other ones (components) would
> ask for the minimum information without losing perf.
> Well.. I guess so... now... :)

... so we should split the information in the schema - recsets much more
intelligent.

for example:

schema_tables_short:     tablename, comments
schema_tables_long:      tablename, owner, create command, rowcount, chunk size,
percentage filled / space left,  etc.

with the option GDA_NOT_AVAILABLE or something like that if the rdbms doesn't
support the information.

is there anybody outside want to collect the request for the schema and to
define the recsets?

another question: the button data in the object-browser of the gdafe - shouldn't
be there a select count(*) over the table with an question to the user if there
are more than xxx rows? Or is there a max_rows anythere in the grid (I still
hadn't have a look to the source :).

> Cheers..
>
> Olivier.

ciao

Stephan

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."
                                                        John Lennon