Re: [gnome-cy] What to do with those RH 9.0 "cy" rpms

Hi Telsa

On Dydd Iau 17 Gorfennaf 2003 9:32 yb, Telsa Gwynne wrote:
> I believe KDE works on a different basis and releases "actual
> apps" and a separate "translation for those apps" package?

That's right.

> But Gnome releases a package with all the translations as part
> of it. When you install RH you get a choice about the default
> system language. (Users will get that by default, or can alter
> their personal defaults to be different.) People almost invariably
> leave it as some form of English (en_GB here..)

Ah - this is what's confusing me.  Gnome has a completely different system,
then.

> I can try to write up something about this (what an .mo file
> is, how to update your translation without waiting for new
> rpms or debs, and so on. I'm just not sure how useful it will
> be. Sensible people don't go mucking around with msgfmt and
> altering mo files on the fly.

Oops.  This is how I got Gnome working in Welsh from the .mos on Dafydd's site
(list mail of 17 Jun).

> Then again, these rpms are for RH. Given the choice between
> attempting to rebuild them for SuSE (a -very- major job: those
> packages took Alan a complete day to build even though he was
> using about four different machines to spread the load), downloading
> and installing RH on a spare box just to test them on, or just
> altering a couple of files on your system by hand... Well, suddenly
> the last option does seem the most sensible!

Yes, I'd rather do it manually, myself.  I suppose it should be possible to do
a download of all the .po files that contains a self-executing script that:
1.  checks for cy_GB, and tries to run localedef if it isn't there;
2.  if localedef fails (whatever), tells you to install glibc-i18n and exits;
3.  if localedef works, turns the .po files in the download into .mo files;
4.  creates the relevant receptacle depending on your distro and copies the
.mo files there;
5.  tells you it has just nuked your box, due to inept scripting.
Give me another three years to read up on things, and I could probably write
that (that's why the last bit would be there) ....

Best wishes

Kevin