Re: [gnome-cy] amendments/updates for cy.po

On Sun, Dec 15, 2002 at 12:12:36AM +0000, Telsa Gwynne wrote:

> One thing to think about in particular: how you want to translate
> "applet" in a GNOME context. I gather it has a specific meaning
> in Java, but I don't think it's quite the same in GNOME.

The origin of the term is so important. I was looking through the
menus of my Pace digital TV box, which has a Welsh interface. They've
translated 'Boot' as 'Cicio'. This is fair enough if the translator
was thinking about the verb 'to boot', but if they knew its origin as
'bootstrap' they might have suggested a better term.

The Academi dictionary gives 'ymlwytho/wr' for boot(strap), which means
'to load oneself' and is accurate enough, but it's probably not a
familiar term for everyone.

> I should check this before stating it so definitely, but my impression
> is that "applet" in GNOME was always intended to imply "tiny little
> app(lication) in the panel".

WindowMaker has an application Dock (and dockapps!), KDE has a panel
(with applets) and I presume GNOME call them panel applets too. I
presume too that it has the same meaning as in Java - it's an
application component that is designed to run (seamlessly) embedded
within another application.

To start with, Welsh needs a word for 'application' which isn't
'cymhwysiad' or 'meddalwedd' and that's a tough challenge.

--
Dafydd Tomos                                <URL:http://www.fydd.org/d/>