Re: [gnome-cy] amendments/updates for cy.po

On Sat, Dec 14, 2002 at 11:09:18PM +0000 or thereabouts, Dafydd Tomos wrote:
> I compared a lot of the terms to ones used in standard Welsh
> dictionaries for Computing and in general, so I've changed some terms
> and made comments in other places but not changed the current msgstr

This is all brilliant. I realise the function of this list is not
"teach Telsa more words", but it's doing awfully well at that :)

> Some of the translated terms need a bit of thought so that we don't
> re-invent translations or overload the meaning of some Welsh words,
> but it's looking good so far!

I'm wondering where this list came from originally. Was it Alan's
collection? Because there's also a GNOME glossary, which is slightly
different in its words.

One thing to think about in particular: how you want to translate
"applet" in a GNOME context. I gather it has a specific meaning
in Java, but I don't think it's quite the same in GNOME.

I should check this before stating it so definitely, but my impression
is that "applet" in GNOME was always intended to imply "tiny little
app(lication) in the panel".

I know some translation teams don't bother to translate it at all
and leave it as applet. I am curious whether it makes more sense
to lift any term used in (say) Java, or whether it is a better
idea to turn it into a word meaning more obviously "tiny little
app-thing".

I think I might go and start one of those endless threads by
asking gnome-i18n what different groups did with it; and probably
get either no replies or thirty.

Telsa