Re: gnome-packagekit prelozen

Andre Klapper <ak-47 gmx net>, Wed, 25 Jun 2008 00:34:18 +0200:

> Ahoj,
>
> Honza Steuer píše v Čt 19. 06. 2008 v 18:15 +0200:
> > tak uz mam prelozeny gnome-packagekit.
> > http://www.fi.muni.cz/~xsteuer/gnome/gnome-packagekit.HEAD.cs.po
>
> pardon me speaking english, but my czech is just too bad. :-D

Definitely not a problem, we're all translators here, you know. :-)

> #: ../src/gpk-client-requires.c:132
> msgid "%i other packages depends on these packages"
> msgstr "%i dalších balíčků závisí na těchto balíčcích"
>
> what if %i is between 2 and 4?
> isn't that "%i další balíčky závisí na těchto balíčcích" then?

Thank you for pointing this out, Andre. Having 2 plural forms in Czech, that
string doesn't allow us to properly localize it, obviously.

> what i generally want to say: if you see messages in po files that have
> a %i placeholder and plural terms, please file a bug against the
> application (with L10N keyword set)

Maybe using "I18N" and "string" keywords can also be suggested?

> to use proper ngettext support and
> point to http://live.gnome.org/TranslationProject/DevGuidelines/Plurals
> (i already sent an email complaining in this special case.)

Great.

> and if I'm once again totally wrong here, then please correct me and
> teach me czech grammar! ;-)

Well, your understanding of Czech grammar is just right. Thanks again.

Anyway, it's nice to see people learning/knowing Czech language. Czech used
to be a sort of international language back in Medieval times, but
nowadays... well... it's no more. ;-)

Best,
Petr Kovar