Re: Transferring of data between accounts

Hi,

I've not worked on contacts for a bit so I'm a bit rusty. But first you
need to set back the default address book to owncloud. This is done in
the app-menu for gnome-contacts.

Yeah, I did that.

Its a bit weird that merging didn't work. Maybe its because your
default address book was still local?

No, definitely not. I just checked again. My default is the owncloud.
When I select a contact which I guess is saved locally, nothing happens.
When I select an owncloud account, it asks me if I want to merge. If I
agree, it tells me that it worked, but there are stil 2 accounts with
separate information.

If you want to see more cleanly which contacts are stored where, I
would recommend starting evolution and looking at the addressbooks from
there. It doesn't do any merging, so may be less confusing.

Oh ok, thanks for the tip of using Evolution. I could confirm now that
the new changes were only saved locally (in new accounts) and I was even
able to merge the local ones into the owncloud again :-) That actually
wasn't as easy as it should be, because Evolution asked me for _every_
contact whether I want to keep the email field empty or write the new
one into it :P Evolution just doesn't feel like the new Gnome Apps where
things like this hopefully would be by standard a yes if there's no
conflict :-) But anyways, a similar (but better) merge feature for gnome
contacts would be super cool. I mean, the contacts app is supposed to be
a central place where you can manage your different contact sources
(e.g. Google, Owncloud etc.) and do things like merging, moving,
copying, backup (import/export) and so on. All with good defaults (not
like the Evolution behaviour). At least that's what I would expect, but
I guess that's still quite a bit of work. Might be worth it since
Contacts is an app that could connect or be integrated by many others.

Yours,
Marius