Re: Changes to Contacts

----- Original Message -----

Really? Those contacts are not typically shown either in the web UI or on
android phones. They are full of autogenerated junk from any email address
you ever sent a mail to. Most of them only have an email address, not even
a name.

We're showing those by default today.

Still not sure that makes it a good idea.

There are also all the people you follow on G+, which you don't necessarily
 want to have in your contacts. (We're kinda lame at separating out these
atm, maybe we can do that better.)

Why won't you want a G+ people you follow on your contacts ? I'm
interesting if people would feel G+ people apart from Google Contacts. I
feel like they are the same thing.

I follow Elon Musk and Linus on G+, but I'm unlikely to want to contact them.

2. Remove any presence indication from contacts, I don't think that's the
purpose of it.

I don't mind, but it may be useful when looking up someone to decide what
way
to contact them.

Indeed, you have a point there. So, remove the presence info from the UI
along and using it under the hood to point the user in the right direction
about getting in touch when someone.

I'm not sure we can do decide automatically here, but maybe showing some subtle
hints based on which accounts are online would help the user some times. I
don't think this is an important part of contacts though.

Indeed, something like that, I've been told by the eds developers, that if
you can get an ESourceRegistry instance, you will have at least a
system-addressbook for sure. So yeah, if I can't get an instance of
ESourceRegistry I'll show an error and go out.

Makes sense to me.