Re: Contacts Setup consequences

On sön, 2012-11-11 at 15:49 +0100, Age Bosma wrote:
> Hi,
>
> One gets presented with the Contacts Setup when launching Contacts for
> the first time. The question is asked where to keep the address book. It
> is, however, unclear to me what the consequences are of choosing either
> "Local Address Book" or "Google".
> It would be nice to have all Google contacts available on my system, but
> I'd hate to see those contacts getting all messed up online.
>
> Situation:
> - Running a clean install of Ubuntu 12.10 GNOME Remix (x64)
> - Several "Online Accounts" have been added (Google, Facebook Windows Live)
> - In addition, several more accounts have been added to the 'other'
> "Online Accounts" (Jabber, ICQ, IRC)
>
> Not knowing what will happen when choosing either option leave me with
> the following questions:
> 1) Will all contacts, Google as well as those of the different IM
> accounts, get listed in either case?

The IM account contacts will be "availible" in contacts, but not shown
by default, unless they are linked to a contact in your primary address
book (in this case google). You can manually link them to show them, or
you can search for them which will show contacts from all sources.

> 2) Will the Google contacts be available offline if Google is the chosen
> location?

Yes, but read-only.

> 3) When altering a Google contact online and locally, will it be kept in
> sync in either case?

Atm editing only works when on line and goes directly via google.
We want to eventually add some form of offline editing though.

> 4) Will the IM accounts contacts be added as separate contacts to Google
> if Google is the chosen location?

No, we never automatically do any form of contacts merging or copying
between different sources.

> 5) What will happen if separate contacts are combined if Google is the
> chosen location?

The way linking of contacts works is that different fields are marked as
"linking" and if two contacts have the same value there they will be
considered linked. In the particular case of IM contacts they are linked
via their IM address, so if you link them to your google contact what
will happen is that the google contact will get an extra field like
"im-address=somueser some-jabber-site com".