Re: Link dialog and Undo for linking

On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 10:33 AM, Alexander Larsson <alexl redhat com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2012-01-03 at 16:28 +0000, Allan Day wrote:
>
>> Having thought about this topic over the Christmas break, I'm coming
>> to the view that we need a bit of a rethink of our approach to
>> linking.
>
> I like this approach a lot, and will start working on it. There are a
> couple of immediate minor issues I see though:
>
> https://github.com/gnome-design-team/gnome-mockups/raw/master/contacts/png/inline-link-suggestions.png
>
> The folks suggestions API looks for possible matching personas, not
> individuals. We can easily skip any matches that contain a primary store
> persona (as they are not "Other"), but we can easily get another
> individual that has multiple non-primary personas. Displaying that
> inline in this way will be a bit tricky.
>
> Also, we don't currently have a good way to store the fact that you
> pressed "No, they are not the same", so I'm not quite sure how well
> automatically showing such matches will be. So, at least initially I
> don't think we'll be able to do this without manual initiation.

It's not essential, so it can wait. It would be good to have though.
Maybe the missing functionality is something the Folks crew would be
happy to have?

> https://github.com/gnome-design-team/gnome-mockups/raw/master/contacts/png/search-results.png
>
> I guess this displays the contacts store label+icon in the sidebar. What
> about IM personas in Other, do we not show the presence status for them?

When I drew this my thought was that IM presence for other contacts
wouldn't be interesting. Now that you ask this I'm not sure. :) Let's
go with the IM status as usual - I'll update the mockups.

> https://github.com/gnome-design-team/gnome-mockups/raw/master/contacts/png/search-results-with-suggestion.png
>
> The hint question here breaks if you have multiple contacts that have
> the same name, since we're not showing any additional information. Not
> sure how important this it though. (We could possibly try to notice such
> cases and add some extra info like the email address to the name).

You're right. Maybe we could have the profile picture in there too.
I'll look into it.

> https://github.com/gnome-design-team/gnome-mockups/raw/master/contacts/png/link-to-other-contact.png
>
> I see you added IM type icons here. Unfortunately those were removed
> from gnome-icon-theme by the design team. :)

The icons are for the account, so we should be able to get them from
GOA. But yeah, maybe we need the ones for IM accounts too. Damn those
designers! :)

Allan
--
IRC:  aday on irc.gnome.org