Re: Link dialog and Undo for linking

On Tue, 2012-01-03 at 16:28 +0000, Allan Day wrote:

> Having thought about this topic over the Christmas break, I'm coming
> to the view that we need a bit of a rethink of our approach to
> linking.

I like this approach a lot, and will start working on it. There are a
couple of immediate minor issues I see though:

https://github.com/gnome-design-team/gnome-mockups/raw/master/contacts/png/inline-link-suggestions.png

The folks suggestions API looks for possible matching personas, not
individuals. We can easily skip any matches that contain a primary store
persona (as they are not "Other"), but we can easily get another
individual that has multiple non-primary personas. Displaying that
inline in this way will be a bit tricky.

Also, we don't currently have a good way to store the fact that you
pressed "No, they are not the same", so I'm not quite sure how well
automatically showing such matches will be. So, at least initially I
don't think we'll be able to do this without manual initiation.

https://github.com/gnome-design-team/gnome-mockups/raw/master/contacts/png/search-results.png

I guess this displays the contacts store label+icon in the sidebar. What
about IM personas in Other, do we not show the presence status for them?

https://github.com/gnome-design-team/gnome-mockups/raw/master/contacts/png/search-results-with-suggestion.png

The hint question here breaks if you have multiple contacts that have
the same name, since we're not showing any additional information. Not
sure how important this it though. (We could possibly try to notice such
cases and add some extra info like the email address to the name).

https://github.com/gnome-design-team/gnome-mockups/raw/master/contacts/png/link-to-other-contact.png

I see you added IM type icons here. Unfortunately those were removed
from gnome-icon-theme by the design team. :)