Re: What will replace bonobo?

On Sun, 2005-03-20 at 08:16 +0100, Jean Bréfort wrote:
> Hi,
>
> If I understand correctly what I read here and there, bonobo will be
> deprecated in a near future. I would like to know if there are plans to
> get a new component system for gnome to replace it and what technology
> it would use.

  I think the plan is to use D-BUS [1].  But it isn't ready/stable yet.

  Personally, I never liked this idea in the first place.  I'd rather
stick to Bonobo/ORBit2.  However, it is a given fact that Bonobo has a
couple of hard to solve fundamental problems, and supposedly D-BUS will
have addressed these problems from the start.  Moreover, the GNOME
project doesn't have enough manpower to maintain both IPC mechanisms.
So D-BUS will replace Bonobo in the end, though it is a very gradual
change and may take some time (years maybe?..) still.

  My advice is, if you are starting a new project and don't mind using
unstable API, take a look at D-Bus and see if it does what you need.
Otherwise, stick with Bonobo.  It at least works and is stable, and more
interoperable (since CORBA is a standard).  Bonobo will stick around in
GNOME in a maintenance state at least until GNOME 3.0, which doesn't
have a date yet.

  Regards.

[1] http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software_2fdbus

--
Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro
The universe is always one step beyond logic