Re: What will replace bonobo?

В Втр, 22/03/2005 в 11:47 +0000, Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro пишет:
> On Sun, 2005-03-20 at 08:16 +0100, Jean Bréfort wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > If I understand correctly what I read here and there, bonobo will be
> > deprecated in a near future. I would like to know if there are plans to
> > get a new component system for gnome to replace it and what technology
> > it would use.
>
>   I think the plan is to use D-BUS [1].  But it isn't ready/stable yet.
>
>   Personally, I never liked this idea in the first place.  I'd rather
> stick to Bonobo/ORBit2.

Me too :)

>  However, it is a given fact that Bonobo has a
> couple of hard to solve fundamental problems, and supposedly D-BUS will
> have addressed these problems from the start.

Oh that "hard to solve problems",  what are they? There are two main
problem with it:

1. Reentrancy (I think that it can be fixed, why not add locks to
objects?)

2. Easy GObject wrapping. It doesn't seems to be such problem,
especially in
light of addition of scripting languages to platform. It really hard to
imagine
that new language will be also GObject-based.

3. Political problems - bonobo have compromised itself, I don't know why
and how.
The main problem is that _some_ gnome developers don't like it.

About DBUS it's hard to say that it will be replacement some day. First
problem is
that it's not component system, just message passing API.

What about implementation of CORBA 3.0 standards with ORBit codebase?
That can give us new component system, rather powerfull and extensible.