exception on exit

You can tell I haven't spent a lot of time working with Bonobo; second
question now.

When I tell the app to shut down, the component logs this assertion and
calls SIGABRT.

 -> map_command(): mgiva-map:1 command close
MGiva Map is exiting now!
 == end of main() ==

** ERROR **: file poa.c: line 1025 (ORBit_POA_activate_object_T):
assertion failed: ((poa->life_flags & ORBit_LifeF_DeactivateDo) == 0)
aborting...

Here is the end of main:
        map_bonobo_init (mgiva_map);

        g_print ("MGIVA-MAP running\n");

        bonobo_main ();

        g_print (" == end of main() ==\n");

I am calling bonobo_main_quit() from somewhere inside the application to
leave the bonobo main loop. Interestingly, if I send the component the
close command before shutting down the application (ie, sometime in the
middle of using it) it shuts down cleanly without throwing that
assertion. It feels like something somewhere is getting unreferenced or
freed too early. Is this vaguely correct? Where would I look?

--d